Research Opportunities for MS Students

EE MS students can participate in research activities as part of their academic program during the academic year and summer. MS Student research receives academic credit through the following courses:

-Research courses ELEN E4998 or ELEN E6001/E6002, as part of the MS EE program
-EE MS thesis course E6003 Master Thesis, as a part of the MS EE program 

The research courses ELEN E4998 or ELEN E6001/E6002 allow students to take up to 6 credits of research out of the total 30 credits required for the MS degree. To conduct research, a student needs to find a faculty advisor to supervise the research and then register for an independent research course -- ELEN E4998 or ELEN E6001 -- in the section of their faculty advisor. A maximum of 3 credits can be odtained during one semester.

To view summer research opportunities, click here.

The EE Master's Thesis course E6003 allows qualified students to write a thesis on their research work under the supervision of their research advisor. This 3 credit course counts to the maximum of 6 research credits. For more information click here.

Qualified students can further choose to apply to the MS Specialization in Research. If admitted, they extend their program to four semesters and take the EE section of the research course ENGI E4990 during their third and fourth semester to continue their research. For more information click here.

An overview of the research activities in the EE department can be found here. To identify a research advisor, students need to establish a relationship through course work, participation in lab visits, or discussions with PhD students. Students are encouraged to start exploring research opportunities early in their program. An overview of some of the current research opportunities through the Student Research Program from SEAS can be found here; note that additional opportunities might be available when you contact lab directors directly.

Students in the MS Honors program can obtain a scholarship to support their research.