Both halves of the Brown Institute met at Columbia University for its quarterly "All Hands" meeting. It was a day of presentations and discussions. A full house, with grants and fellows form both 2012-13 and 2013-14.
Two papers from the Columbia Team working on the News Rover view of Personalized Television News (PTVN) will be presenting at ACM Conference on Multimedia (MM) this year in Barcelona, Spain on October 24-25:
- "Structured Exploration of Who, What, When, and Where in Heterogeneous Multimedia News Sources" [Paper] as Grand Challenge Solution
- "News Rover: Exploring Topical Structures and Serendipity in Heterogeneous Multimedia News" [Paper] as Technical Demo
One paper from the Stanford Team working on the Eigen News view will also be presenting a work at ACM MM:
- "EigenNews: A Personalized News Video Delivery Platform" [Paper] as Technical Demo
The Stanford Team working on the Eigen News view of Personalized Television News (PTVN) presented their work at IEEE Workshops on Media Fragment Creation and Remixing (MMIX) and Broadcast and User-Generated Content Recognition and Analysis (BRUREC) 2013:
- "Analysis of Visual Similarity in News Videos with Robust and Memory-efficient Image Retrieval" (MMIX) [Slides]
- "EigenNews: Generating and Delivering Personalized News Videos" (BRUREC)
The Columbia Team working on the News Rover view of Personalized Television News (PTVN) attend and presented a poster/demo at the 3rd Greater New York Area Multimedia and Vision (GNYMV) workshop/meeting. And they won the Best Demo Award for their work:
"News Rover: Exploring Topical Structures and Serendipity in Heterogeneous Multimedia News"
The PTVN Team was at brainstorming session "Research, Three Ways" hosted at Hearst Corporation in Columbus Circle, NYC. Incredible opportunity to interface with journalists and technologists!