- Anil K. Jain, etc., "Statistical Pattern Recognition: A Review,"
IEEE Tran. on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, vol 22, No 1, Jan.
- Gonzalez and Woods, Digital Image Processing, 2nd edition, Prentice Hall,
2001 (Chapter 12, Object recognition)
- Anil K. Jain, Fundamentals of Digital Image Processing, Prentice Hall, 1989.
- Probability Refresher, notes for EE E6880, Statistical Pattern Recognition,
Vittorio Castelli, Spring 2002 [link]
- A K Jain, etc., "Data clustering: A Review," ACM Computing Surveys,
vol. 31, no. 3, Sept. 1999. [link]
- Jeff Bilms, "A Gentle Tutorial of the EM Algorithm and its Application
Estimation for Gaussian Mixture and Hidden Markov Models," ICSI TR-97-021
April 1998. [link]
- Sikora, T., "The MPEG-7 visual standard for content description-an
overview," IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology,
Volume: 11 Issue: 6 , Page(s): 696 -702, June 2001. [link]
- Manjunath, B.S.; Ohm, J.-R.; Vasudevan, V.V.; Yamada, A., "Color and
texture descriptors," IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video
Technology, Volume: 11 Issue: 6 , Page(s): 703 -715, June 2001. [link]
- Bober, M. "The MPEG-7 visual shape descriptors," IEEE Transactions
on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, Volume: 11 Issue: 6 , June 2001.
- Jeannin, S.; Divakaran, A., "The MPEG-7 visual motion descriptors,"
IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, Volume: 11
Issue: 6 , June 2001. [link]
- Image retrieval: Current techniques, promising directions and open issues
Y Rui, TS Huang, SF Chang - Journal of Visual Communication and Image Representation,
Content-Based Image Search System
- John R. Smith, Shih-Fu Chang. VisualSEEk: a Fully Automated Content-Based
Image Query System. In ACM Multimedia, Boston, MA, November 1996. (link)
- Charles E. Jacobs, Adam Finkelstein, David H. Salesin, "Fast multiresolution
image querying," SIGGRAPH 1995. (link)
- Rajendran Kumar, S.-F. Chang, Image Retrieval with Sketches and Compositions,
IEEE International Conference on Multimedia and Expo (ICME), New York, July
- M. Flickher, H. Sawhney, W. Niblack, J. Ashley, Q. Huang, B. Dom, M. Gorkani,
J. Hafner, D. Lee, D. Petkovicand D. Steele, and P. Yanker. Query by image
and video content: The QBIC system. In IEEE Computer, volume 38, pages 23-31,
- Christos Faloutsos, Ron Barber, Myron Flickner, Wayne Niblack, Dragutin
Petkovic, and William Equitz. Efficient and effective querying by image content.
J. of Intelligent Information Systems, 3(3/4):231-262, July 1994. (IBM QBIC
- Yossi Rubner, Carlo Tomasi, and Leonidas J. Guibas. A Metric for Distributions
with Applications to Image Databases. Proceedings of the ICCV'98, Bombay,
India, January 1998, pages 59-66.
- NIST TRECVID Video Retrieval Evaluation (link)
Web Image Search
- J. R. Smith and S.-F. Chang, "Visually Searching the Web for Content,"
IEEE Multimedia Magazine, Summer, Vol. 4 No. 3, pp.12-20, 1997. (also Columbia
U. CU/CTR Technical Report #459-96-25). (pdf
- Deng Cai, Xiaofei He, Wei-Ying Ma, Ji-Rong Wen and Hong-Jiang Zhang, Organizing
WWW Images Based on the Analysis of Page Layout and Web Link Structure,2004
IEEE International Conference on Multimedia and Expo., Taipei, Jun. 2004.
- Deng Cai, Xiaofei He, Zhiwei Li, Wei-Ying Ma and Ji-Rong Wen, Hierarchical
Clustering of WWW Image Search Results Using Visual, Textual and Link Analysis,12th
ACM International Conference on Multimedia, New York City, USA, Oct. 2004.
- Xin-Jing Wang, Wei-Ying Ma, Gui-Rong Xue, and Xing Li, Multi-Model Similarity
Propagation and its Application for Web Image Retrieval,12th ACM International
Conference on Multimedia, New York City, USA, Oct. 2004. [link]
- "A Quick Search Method for Audio and Video Signals Based on Histogram
Pruning " Kunio Kashino, Takayuki Kurozumi, and Hiroshi Murase (NTT),
IEEE Trans. on Multimedia, Sept. 2003. [link]
Bayesian Image Classification
- A. Vailaya, A. Jain, and HJ Zhang, "On Image Classification: City Images
vs. Landscapes," Pattern Recognition Journal, Pattern Recognition, Vol.
31, No. 12, pp. 1921-1935, 1998. [link]
- A. Vailaya, M. Figueiredo, A. Jain, and HJ Zhang, "A Bayesian Framework
for Semantic Classification of Outdoor Vacation Images," IEEE Trans.
Image Processing, Vol. 10, No. 1, pp. 157-172, Jan. 2001. [link]
Boosting for Image Retrieval
- Yoav Freund and Robert E. Schapire, "A decision-theoretic generalization
of on-line learning and an application to boosting," In Computational
Learning Theory: Eurocolt ’95, pages 23–37. Springer-Verlag, 1995.
- K. Tieu and P.Viola, "Boosting Image Retrieval," CVPR 2000. [link]
- Paul Viola and Michael Jones, "Rapid object detection using a boosted
cascade of simple features," CVPR, 2001. [link]
Maximum Entropy Model
- D. Beeferman and A. Berger and J. D. Lafferty, "Statistical Models
for Text Segmentation," Machine Learning, p. 177-210, vol. 34, 1999.
- W. Hsu, S.-F. Chang, A Statistical Framework for Fusing Mid-level Perceptual
Features in News Story Segmentation, IEEE International Conference on Multimedia
& Expo (ICME) 2003. [link]
- Christopher J. C Burges, "A Tutorial on Support Vector Machines for
Journal of Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery, pp. 121-167, 1998. [link]
- O. Chapelle, P. Haffner, and V. N. Vapnik, "Support Vector Machines
for Histogram-Based Image Classification," IEEE Trans. on Neural Networks,
Vol. 10, No. 5, Sept. 1999. [link]
- Guodong Guo and Stan.Z. Li, "Content-based Audio Classification and
Retrieval by Support Vector Machines," IEEE Trans. on Neural Networks.
Vol.14, No.1, pp.209-215. January 2003. [link]
- J. Weston, S. Mukherjee, O. Chapelle, M. Pontil, T. Poggio, and V. Vapnik.
Feature selection for SVMs. In Sara A Solla, Todd K Leen, and Klaus-Robert
Muller, editors, Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems 13. MIT
Press, 2001. [link]
Relevance Feedback and Active Learning
- Rui, Y., Huang, T. S., Ortega, M., , Mehrotra, S.: Relevance feedback: A
power tool in interactive content-based image retrieval. IEEE Trans. on
Circuits and Systems for Video Technology 8(5) (Sep. 1998):644--655 [link]
- G. Salton and C. Buckley. Improving retrieval performance by relevance
feedback. Journal of the American Society for Information Science, pages
288--297, 1990 [link]
- Tong, S., & Koller, D. (2000). Support vector machine active learning
with applications to text classification, Proceedings of the Seventeenth International
Conference on Machine Learning (pp. 999- 1006). San-Francisco: Morgan Kaufmann.
- S. Tong and E. Chang, "Support Vector Machine Active Learning for Image
Retrieval," ACM International Conference on Multimedia, pp.107-118, Ottawa,
October 2001. [link]
HMM and Video Classification
- L.R. Rabiner, "A tutorial on hidden Markov models and selected applications
in speech recognition," Proceedings of the IEEE, Volume: 77, Issue: 2,
Feb 1989, pp. 257-286. [link]
- Jeff Bilmes, What HMMs can do, U. Washington Tech Report, Feb 2002. [link]
- J. Huang, Z. Liu, and Y. Wang, "Joint Video Scene Segmentation and
Classification based on Hidden Markov Model," Proc. IEEE International
Conference on Multimedia and Expo (ICME 2000), New York, Aug. 2000. [link]
- L. Xie, S.-F. Chang, A. Divakaran and H. Sun, "Structure Analysis of
Soccer Video with Hidden Markov Models," ICASSP-2002, Orlando, FL, USA,
May 2002. [link]
Document Clustering and Mixture Model
- T. Hofmann. Learning and representing topic. A hierarchical mixture model
for word occurrence in
document databases. In Workshop on learning from text and the web, CMU, 1998.
- K. Barnard and D. A. Forsyth. Learning the semantics of words and pictures.
Conference on Computer Vision, pages II:408–415, 2001. [link]
- P. F. Brown, S. A. Della Pietra, V. J. Della Pietra, and R. L. Mercer. The
mathematics of machine
translation: Parameter estimation. Computational Linguistics, 19(10):263–311,
- P. Duygulu, Kobus B., J. F. G de Freitas, and D. A. Forsyth. Object recognition
as machine translation: Learning a lexicon for a fixed image vocabulary. In
The Seventh European Conference on Computer Vision, pages IV:97–112,
Normalized Cuts and Graph Cuts
- J. Shi and J. Malik. Normalized cuts and image segmentation. In Proceedings
of the IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR'97),
pages 731--737, 1997. [link]
- C. Rother, V. Kolmogorov and A. Blake. Interactive Foreground Extraction
using Iterated Graph Cuts. ACM Transactions on Graphics (SIGGRAPH'04), 2004.
Language Model and Multimedia Information Retrieval
- "Relevance-based language models", V. Lavrenko and W.B. Croft,
ACM SIGIR 2001 [link]
- "Discriminative models for information retrieval", Ramesh Nallapati
(umass), Pages: 64 - 71, SIGIR 2004 [link]
- "Automatic Image Annotation and Retrieval using Cross-Media Relevance
Models", J. Jeon, V. Lavrenko, R. Manmatha, SIGIR'03. [link]
- Nebojsa Jojic, Nemanja Petrovic, Brendan Frey, and Thomas Huang,
"Transformed Hidden Markov Models: Estimating Mixture Models of Images
Inferring Spatial Transformations in Video Sequences", CVPR 2000 [link]
- Nebojsa Jojic and Brendan Frey, "Learning Flexible Sprites in Video
Layers", CVPR 2001 [link]
- Nebojsa Jojic and Brendan Frey, "A generative model for 2.5D vision:
Estimating appearance, transformation, illumination, transparency and
occlusion", IJCV 2002.