EE Teaching Lab Computers
Policy and Procedures
Students in Electrical Engineering Department have access to teaching labs
in 1235 Mudd (Embedded Systems Lab) and 1218 Mudd (VLSI CAD Lab). In addition,
they have access to compuetrs in Mudd Terrace Rm 251.
MATLAB and required toolboxes will be available in these labs. Computer access
in Terrace 251 requires Columbia ACIS account. For applcaitions for access and
usage guildelines in 1218 and 1235 Mudd, please read the following.
- 1. You may use the Sun workstations in the VLSI Lab in 1218 Mudd or the
Linux workstations in the Embedded Systems Lab in Mudd 1235. Your
same home directory and login will be available in both environments.
Please ask your TA or instructor about setting up the path of the MATLAB tools.
- 2. You need
- Swipe/badge access to both Mudd 1218 and Mudd 1235.
- An active login ID
- 3. These will be created for you from a sign-up list which will be during
the first day of class for courses that use the teaching lab facilities.
Any further issues about login access should be directed to Christian Gough
Access issues should be addressed to John Kazana ([email protected]).
- 4. Once you have successfully logged in, you may look at the online tutorials
provided by MATLAB or the course web page.
Guidelines for working in both the VLSI Lab (Mudd 1218) and the Embedded
Systems Lab (Mudd 1235): Both labs are managed by EE Department and they have some general guidelines which are to be followed strictly. Failure to comply by these rules generally results in permanent deletion of the account without much discussion. In all cases, it will be extremely difficult for the instructor or TA to restore the account.
- Do NOT bring any friends/visitors in the lab and let them use the machines on your account.
- The quota for each student is 80 MB. Therefore, it is important that you keep only relevant files in your home. In case, you genuinely need more space, consult the TA.
- Do NOT fire huge printing jobs on the lab printers. Printers are for your convenience and printing anything other than HW or project files is NOT permitted. We have limited quota on the paper and we have to work within those limits. Also DO NOT try to print tool documentation. Such files are hundreds of pages.
- Do NOT reboot the machines. Several other people might have important jobs running on the same machine. Contact system adminitrators in case it hangs or freezes.
- System Administrator :
Some Facts You need to know....
[EE E6887 HOME]