Next: About this document ...
- PhD, Electrical Engineering, Columbia University, New York, NY. Sep. 1994 to May 1999. Distinction.
Thesis: Market Mechanisms for Network Resource Sharing
Eliahu I. Jury Award.
Advisor: A. A. Lazar
- M. Eng. , EE,
McGill University, Montréal, Canada. Sep. 1991 to Apr. 1993.
Project: Model Matching Control
Advisor: G. Zames
- B. Eng., Honours in EE, minor in Math, McGill University. Sep. 1987 to Dec. 1990.
Distinction (cum laude). University Scholar.
- Research Publications
- N. Semret, R. F. Liao, A. Campbell and A. A. Lazar, Pricing, Provisioning and Peering:
Dynamic Markets for Differentiated Internet Services and Implications for Network Interconnections, IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, Special Issue on Internet Quality of Service, Dec. 2000.
- G. Giammarino, N. Semret, and J. Huard, Merkato: A Platform for Market-Based Resource Allocation,
Networking 2000, Intelligent Agents for Telecommunications Environments, Paris, May 14-17, 2000.
- N. Semret, R. F. Liao, A. Campbell and A. A. Lazar, Peering and Provisioning of Differentiated Internet Services, IEEE Infocom 2000, Tel-Aviv, Israel, March 2000.
- N. Semret, R. F. Liao, A. Campbell and A. A. Lazar, Market-Pricing of Differentiated Internet Services, IEEE-IFIP IWQoS '99, London, UK, June 1999.
- A. A. Lazar and N. Semret, Design and Analysis of the Progressive Second Price Auction for Network Bandwidth Sharing, Telecommunications Systems, Special Issue on Network Economics.
- A. A. Lazar and N. Semret, Spot and Derivative Markets in Admission Control - Part I: reservations, Intl. Teletraffic Conf., Edinburgh, UK, June 1999.
- A. A. Lazar and N. Semret, The Progressive Second Price Auction Mechanism for Network Resource Sharing, International Symposium on Dynamic Games and Applications, Maastricht, The Netherlands, July 1998.
- P. R. Jelenkovic, A. A. Lazar, and N. Semret,
The Effect of Multiple Time Scales
and Subexponentiality of MPEG Video Streams on Queueing Behavior, IEEE
Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, Vol. 15, No. 6, August 1997.
- P. R. Jelenkovic, A. A. Lazar and N. Semret,
Multiple Time Scales and Subexponentiality in MPEG Video Streams,
in L. Mason and A. Casaca, editors, Broadband Communications, Chapman and Hall, 1996.
- ``System and Method for Performing a Progressive Second Price Auction'', US Patent 7,177,832
- ``System and method for allocating resources using spot market and derivative market techniques'', US Patent 7,110,977
- Course Manager, Columbia University, Summer 1998
Formulated, supervised, and graded project, mid-term, and final exam for Resource Allocation and Networking Games.
Designed, implemented and conducted a distributed Java auction tournament with strategies submitted by students.
- Teaching Assistant, Columbia University.
Resource Allocation and Networking Games, spring 97; Multimedia Networking, spring 96.
- Teaching Assistant, McGill University, EE and Math Depts., 1989-1993.
Graduate course in Non-linear Systems, undergraduate courses in Advanced Calculus and Ordinary Differential Equations.
- Industry Experience
- Member of Technical Staff, Google, Inc., since May 2007.
- Chairman and Co-founder, Invisible Hand Networks, Inc., since November 1997.
- Summer Research Position, Internet Architecture Lab, Bellcore, Morristown, NJ. May-August 1997. Supervisor: C. Huitema
- Member of Technical Staff (summer internship), Bell Labs, Lucent Technologies, Holmdel, NJ. May-August 1996. Supervisor: S. Ahuja
Developed MREX (see software). Developed Waga, a prototype agent based web-resource load balancing and pricing system.
- Consultant, Pan-African Development Information Systems, United Nations ECA, Addis Abeba, Ethiopia. June-July 1995.
- Research Engineer, INRS-Telecom, Montréal. Oct. 1993-Aug. 94.
- Intern, International Telecommunications Satellite Organization (INTELSAT), Washington, DC. May-September 1993.
- Research Assistant, National Research
Council, Dominion Radio Astrophysical Laboratory, Penticton, BC. May-August 1990.
- Research Assistant, McGill Research Center
for Intelligent Machines.
May-August 1989, June-August 1988.
- E. I. Jury Award, Department of Electrical Engineering, Columbia University, 1999.
- Co-winner, Best TA award, Columbia Video Network, Spring 1996.
- Author of TREX - Top 10 Web Applet worldwide, December 1995 & February 1996 (Java Applet Rating Service); applet appears in several books and CD-ROMs on Java programming.
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada
(NSERC), Post Graduate Scholarship, 1991/92 and 92/93.
- NSERC, Summer Undergraduate Research Award, 1989 and 1990.
- Faculty Scholar designation, McGill University, 1988/89 and 1989/90.
- Offered admission to the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, class of 1991.
- Concours National de l'Association Mathématique du Québec, prize, 1987.
- Computer: Java, C++, C, Python, Perl, FORTRAN, Pascal, BASIC; strong experience with UNIX , MS-Windows and MS-DOS operating systems, have worked in VMS (VAX).
- Human: fluent in French, English and Amharic; quasi-fluent in Spanish; have studied German, Arabic, and basic Swahili.
- Board member of Ethiopian Scientific Society and creator of the Ethiopian Internet White Pages.
- Amateur investor; implemented own portfolio balancing algorithm based on stochastic optimization theory.
- Traveled to more than 40 countries on 5 continents.
- Participated in (and finished) a Triathlon.
- Occasional writer for the McGill Daily newspaper, Seleda magazine, and others.
Available on request.
Next: About this document ...