- PhD Student
- rsm2156 at columbia dot edu
- 815 Schapiro
- Columbia University, New york, ny
I am a PhD Student in Electrical Engineering at Columbia University. I am studying under the advising of Professor Gil Zussman. My current research interests are in computer communication networks, wireless and ad hoc networking, sensor networks, and mobile networks.
[4/24/2013]: I was accepted to and will attend the First Internation School on Green Communications and Networking (GreenComNet) this summer on May 28-31 in Boston, Massachusetts.
[4/19/2013]: Following INFOCOM'13, I presented at CTTC in Barcelona work on the design and experimental evaluation of an Energy Harvesting Active Networked Tags testbed, and the design and experimental evaluation of a proportional fair scheduling framework in cellular networks.
[2/15/2013]: At this year's INFOCOM'13 conference in Turin, Italy, my paper on the EnHANTs testbed was accepted to the mini-conference. Additionally, the EnHANTs demo will appear in the INFOCOM'13 demo session. [Paper PDF]
[5/11/2012]: I received an "EE MS Award of Excellence" which recognizes outstanding academic achievement while persuing a Master of Science in Electrical Engineering at Columbia University. [news item]
[3/03/2012]: Together with the EnHANTs team, I presented the prototype demo at the Science Expo at The School At Columbia University, targeting Kindergarten to Grade 8 students, and their parents. [news item] [pictures]
[1/17/2012]: For the Spring 2012 semester, I will serve as an instructor for CSEE 4140 - Networking Laboratory.
[11/08/2011]: Along with fellow presenters Maria Gorlatova and Gerald Stanje, we won the Best Student Demo Award for a demo on behalf of the EnHANTs project at the ACM SenSys 2011 conference. [news item] [video]
[04/5/2011]: I recieved the National Science Foundation (NSF) Graduate Research Fellowship Award. This will help fund my graduate studies over the next couple of years! Along with this, I also received a Columbia Egleston Fellowship. [news item]
- Instructor for:
- CSEE 4140 - Networking Laboratory (Columbia University, Spring 2012)
- Teaching Asstant for:
- CSEE W4119 - Computer Networking (Columbia University, Summer 2012)
- CSEE W4119 - Computer Networking (Columbia University, Fall 2011)
- ENGR 2350 - Laboratory Introduction to Embedded Control (RPI, Fall 2009)
Honors and Awards
- Columbia Electrical Engineering Master of Science Award of Excellence (2012)
- Best Student Demo Award, ACM SenSys 2011
- NSF Graduate Research Fellow (2011)
- Columbia University Egleston Doctoral Fellow (2011)
- Smart Scholarship Recipient (declined, 2011)
- RPI Palmer C. Rickets Prize for Outstanding Acdemic Success in Electrical Engineering (2010)
- RPI Class of 2010 Academic Achievement Award (2010)
- RPI Honors Convocation 4.0 Award (2010)
Columbia University, New York, NY, 2010 - Present
- Department of Electrical Engineering
- Degree: Ph.D. Electrical Engineering
- Degree: M.S. Electrical Engineering (Received Oct. 2011), Final GPA: 3.92
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute , Troy, NY, 2007 - 2010
- Department of Electrical, Computer, and Systems Engineering (ECSE)
- Degree: B.S. Electrical Engineering, Minor in Management Technology Awarded
- Concentration: Communications and Information Processing, Computer Networks
- Final GPA: 4.0 | Summa Cum Laude | 3 years
- M. Gorlatova, R. Margolies, J. Sarik, G. Stanje, J. Zhu, B. Vigraham, M. Szczodrak, L. Carloni, P. Kinget, I. Kymissis, G. Zussman, "Prototyping Energy Harvesting Active Networked Tags (EnHANTs)", in Proc. IEEE INFOCOM'13 mini-conference, Turin, Italy, Apr. 2013.
- R. Margolies, L. Pena, K. Kim, Y. Kim, M. Wang, M. Gorlatova, J. Sarik, J. Zhu, P. Kinget, I. Kymissis, and G. Zussman, "An Adaptive Testbed of Energy Harvesting Active Networked Tags (EnHANTs) Prototypes", in Proc. IEEE INFOCOM'13, Turin, Italy, Apr. 2013.
- J. Sarik, L. Pena, M. Wang, K. Kim, H. Wang, F. Duque, G. Burrow, R. Margolies, M. Gorlatova, B. Vigraham, P. Kinget, I. Kymissis, and G. Zussman, "Demo: Energy Harvesting Active Network Tag (EnHANT) Prototypes and Prototype Testbed", IDTechEx Energy Harvesting and Storage USA'12, Washington, DC, Nov. 2012 (invited demonstration).
- G. Stanje, P. Miller, J. Zhu, A. Smith, O. Winn, R. Margolies, M. Gorlatova, J. Sarik, M. Szczodrak, B. Vigraham, L. Carloni, P. Kinget, I. Kymissis, and G. Zussman, "Demo: Organic Solar Cell-equipped Energy Harvesting Active Networked Tag (EnHANT) Prototypes" , Proc. ACM SenSys'11, Seattle, WA, November 2011. 2011 ACM SenSys Best Student Demo Award.
- J. Zhu, G. Stanje, R. Margolies, M. Gorlatova, J. Sarik, Z. Noorbhaiwala, P. Miller, M. Szczodrak, B. Vigraham, L. Carloni, P. Kinget, I. Kymissis, and G. Zussman, "Demo: Prototyping UWB-Enabled EnHANTs", Proc. ACM MobiSys'11, Washington, DC, June 2011.
- Introduction to Stochastics, Fall 2010
- Deterministic Models, Fall 2010
- Analysis of Algorithms, Fall 2010
- Computer Communication Networks, Spring 2011
- Network Optimization, Spring 2011
- Modern Analysis, Spring 2011
- Stochastic Modeling I, Fall 2011
- Deterministic Scheduling Models, Fall 2011
- Wireless and Mobile Networking, Fall 2011
- Information Theory, Spring 2013
- Approximation Algorithms, Spring 2013