Dimitris Anastassiou is Charles Batchelor Professor of Electrical Engineering, faculty member of Columbia's Department of Systems Biology and of the Center for Cancer Systems Therapeutics (CaST). He is doing research on computational biology with emphasis on data mining and systems-based analysis of biomolecular data sets.
Professor Anastassiou joined the E.E. faculty in 1983. From 1979 until 1983 he was a Research Staff member at the IBM Thomas J. Watson Research Center, Yorktown Heights, NY. He is an IEEE Fellow, a Fellow of the National Academy of Inventors, the recipient of an IBM Outstanding Innovation Award, a National Science Foundation Presidential Young Investigator Award, and a Great Teacher Award from the Society of Columbia Graduates. His previous research was in the area of video technology. He is author of patents accepted as essential for the implementation of the international standards MPEG-2, AVC/H.264 and MVC used in digital television transmission and broadcasting as well as DVDs and Blue-ray discs.
His research in systems biology is focused on the discovery and elucidation of biomolecular mechanisms in cancer and the associated diagnostic, prognostic and therapeutic applications in personalized medicine.
Breast Cancer Feature Selector
In the News
- D. Anastassiou, “Comment on A COL11A1-correlated pan-cancer gene signature of activated fibroblasts for the prioritization of therapeutic targets,” Cancer Letters, Vol. 393, pp. 125-126, May 2017.
- A. Elmas, T.H. Ou Yang, X. Wang and D. Anastassiou, “Discovering Genome-Wide Tag SNPs Based on the Mutual Information of the Variants,” PLOS ONE, Vol. 11, Issue 12, e0167994, December 2016.
- T.H. Ou Yang, W.Y. Cheng, T. Zheng, M.A. Maurer and D. Anastassiou, "Breast Cancer Prognostic Biomarker Using Attractor Metagenes and the FGD3-SUSD3 Metagene," Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention, Vol. 23, Issue 12, pp. 2850-6, December 2014.
- C.P. Miller, J.D. Thorpe, A.N. Kortum, C.M. Coy, W.Y. Cheng, T.S. Ou Yang, D. Anastassiou, J. D. Beatty, N.D. Urban and C.A. Blau, "JAK2 Expression is Associated with Tumor-Infiltrating Lymphocytes and Improved Breast Cancer Outcomes: Implications for Evaluating JAK2 Inhibitors," Cancer Immunology Research, Vol 2, Issue 4, pp. 301-6, April 2014.
- W.Y. Cheng, T.H. Ou Yang and D. Anastassiou, "Development of a prognostic model for breast cancer survival in an open challenge environment," Science Translational Medicine, Vol. 5, Issue 181, p. 181ra50, April 2013. This research article describes the winning model of the Sage Bionetworks/DREAM Breast Cancer Prognosis Challenge, which is the cover story of the journal. The winning model is also summarized in NPG's Science-Business eXchange and featured in a Research Highlight in Nature Reviews Cancer, Vol. 13, Issue 6, p. 378, June 2013.
- W.Y. Cheng, T.H. Ou Yang and D. Anastassiou, "Biomolecular events in cancer revealed by attractor metagenes," PLOS Computational Biology, Vol. 9, Issue 2, February 2013.
- W.Y. Cheng, J.J. Kandel, D.J. Yamashiro, P. Canoll and D. Anastassiou, "A multi-cancer mesenchymal transition gene expression signature is associated with prolonged time to recurrence in glioblastoma," PLOS ONE, Vol. 7, Issue 4, April 2012.
- D. Anastassiou, V. Rumjantseva, W.Y. Cheng, J. Huang, P. Canoll, D.J. Yamashiro and J.J. Kandel, "Human cancer cells express Slug-based epithelial-mesenchymal transition gene expression signature obtained in vivo," BMC Cancer, Vol. 11, Issue 529, December 2011. [Highly accessed]
- Y.H. Cheung, J. Watkinson and D. Anastassiou, "Conditional meta-analysis stratifying on detailed HLA genotypes identifies a novel type 1 diabetes locus around TCF19 in the MHC," Human Genetics, Vol. 129, No. 2, pp. 161-176, February 2011.
- H. Kim, J. Watkinson, V. Varadan and D. Anastassiou, "Multi-cancer computational analysis reveals invasion-associated variant of desmoplastic reaction involving INHBA, THBS2 and COL11A1," BMC Medical Genomics, Vol. 3, Issue 51, November 2010. [Highly accessed]
- J. Watkinson and D. Anastassiou, "Synergy Disequilibrium Plots: graphical visualization of pairwise synergies and redundancies of SNPs with respect to a phenotype" Bioinformatics, Vol. 25, No. 11, pp. 1445-1446, June 2009.
- K.C. Liang, X. Wang and D. Anastassiou, "A Profile-Based Deterministic Sequential Monte Carlo Algorithm for Motif Discovery," Bioinformatics, Vol. 24, Issue 1, January 2008, pp. 46-55.
- D. Anastassiou, "Computational Analysis of the Synergy Among Multiple Interacting Genes," Molecular Systems Biology, Vol. 3, No. 83, February 2007.
- V. Varadan and D. Anastassiou, "Inference of Disease-Related Molecular Logic from Systems-Based Microarray Analysis," PLOS Computational Biology, Vol. 2, Issue 6, June 2006, pp. 585-597.
- D. Anastassiou, H. Liu and V. Varadan, "Variable Window Binding for Mutually Exclusive Alternative Splicing," Genome Biology, Vol. 7, Issue 1, pp. R2.1-R2.12, January 2006. [Highly accessed]
- D. Anastassiou, “Genomic Signal Processing,” IEEE Signal Processing Magazine, theme article, Vol. 18, No 4, pp. 8-20, July 2001.
Some publications unrelated to biology from a previous lifetime.