The Electrical Engineering Department's top admitted students participating in the Tesla Scholars program have the distinct opportunity to participate in the Tesla Leadership Circle beginning in their second semester of study. Begun in 2013, the program is designed to provide a chance for the Tesla Scholar to both utilize their leadership skills while at Columbia and earn additional funds of $2,500 - $6,500 (depending on the fulfilled tasks).
EE Tesla Scholars are eligible to apply to the program if they are in their second or third semesters of study and have a Columbia University GPA of 3.5 or above. The roles TLC students undertake are either Tesla Research Assistant ($2,500 per semester, two semesters allowed) or Tesla Teaching Assistant ($6,500 per semester, only one semester allowed). Most are expected to dedicate approximately 10 hours a week to fulfilling their duties, though that will vary depending on the task.
Tesla Teaching Assistant
- A Tesla Teaching Assistant earns $6,500 per semester (only one semester allowed).
- Tesla TA positions are limited and may vary each semester.
- To apply to the Tesla TA program please fill in the link to online form; put "Tesla" in the program field.
- Tesla scholars who joined the department in Fall 2013 are welcome to apply to the new Tesla TA program for Fall 2014 if they participated in the TLC program up to one time (during the semester or summer session).
Tesla Research Assistant
- A Tesla Research Assistant earns $2,500 per semester (up to two semesters allowed).
- It is up to the Tesla student to contact one of the EE faculty to arrange his/her assistance in the Faculty's lab.
- Please email email@example.com once you have arranged to be an assistant for one of the EE faculty.
Throughout their study, Tesla Scholars may participate in the TLC program up to two times (i.e., two semesters), only one of which may involve a TA position.