- Introduction and overview.
- Common network technologies and concepts..
- Connection oriented and connectionless packet switching. The
Internet and ATM Networks: Concepts, architecture and
- Delay models in computer networks. Queueing theory: Basic
concepts, review of Markov chain theory.
- Queueing theory: Little's Theorem, M/M/1 queue
- Priority queueing systems. Multidimensional Markov Chains:
applications in multiple traffic class networks
- Multiple Access and LAN protocols. Performance analysis of LAN
- Naming and addressing: Internet and ATM networks. Routing in
computer networks: overview and requirements.
- Distance-vector routing. Link-state routing. Routing in ATM
- Multiparty communication. IP multicast routing protocols.
- Flow and rate control: open loop and closed loop. Analysis of
window flow control.
- Common network protocols: SONET/SDH, Internet protocol stack.
TCP flow and error control.
- ATM Network protocols: ATM, AAL, IP over ATM, LAN emulation.
- Elements of Network Security.