CUIT maintains a site license for Norton AntiVirus and makes the client available for download and installation by all Columbia students. Please go to this page to download the client for your platform. Once you've installed the client on your system, update your virus definitions and run a full system scan. If you need assistance with this, please contact and we will assist you with the installation and configuration of Norton AntiVirus for your computer.
Most viruses attack flaws in the Windows operating system, which makes it important to keep your system up to date with the latest patches and security updates from Microsoft. If you use Mac OS X, Linux, or Solaris, you are effectively immune to most viruses; however, these operating systems present complex vulnerabilities of their own and must be properly secured.
As an EE systems user, there are several preventative measures that you can take to prevent the infection and spread of malicious computer viruses and worms in the EE network.
- Keep your computer up to date with Windows Update.
- Download and install Norton Antivirus on your computer.
- Keep virus definitions up to date and perform scans frequently.
- Don't use file sharing programs like Kazaa, which viruses use to spread themselves.
- Invest in a third-party firewall product such as Zone Alarm.