709 Schapiro CEPSR, Mail Code: 4712
Phone: +1 212-854-6894
Fax: +1 212-854-0300
Office hours: TBA
- Ph.D., Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences, University of California at Berkeley (August 1993)
- M.S., Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences, University of California at Berkeley (May 1991)
- B.S., Electrical Engineering, National Taiwan University (June 1985)
- Computer vision
- Signal processing
- Visual search engine
- Richard Dicker Professor, Department of Electrical Engineering, Columbia University (2011-Date).
- Professor and Chairman, Department of Electrical Engineering, Columbia University (2007-Date).
- Director, Columbia ADVENT University-Industry Research Consortium (2000–2003).
- Deputy Director, Image Technology for New Media Center, Columbia University, 1997.
- Visiting Faculty, IBM T.J. Watson Center (2004-6); Microsoft Research Beijing (2006).
- Chief Scientist and Co-Founder, MediaQuest Technologies Inc., 1999-2000.
- Advisory Board Member/Consultant, Eastman Kodak (1998), PictureTel (1998), iBeam (2000-2002), Sekani (2000), SOSi (2000-2002), Chonghwa Telecom Lab, Taiwan (2003, 2005, 2006), InspireWork (2003), Institute of Information Industry, Taiwan (2001-date), Motionbox (2007-date).
(The following papers can be found online at http://www.ee.columbia.edu/ln/dvmm/newPublication.htm/)
J. R. Smith, S.-F. Chang, “VisualSEEk: A Fully Automated Content-Based Image Query System,” In ACM Multimedia Conference, Boston, MA, November 1996.
J. R. Smith and S.-F. Chang, "Searching for Images and Videos on the World-Wide Web," IEEE Multimedia Magazine, Vol. 4, No. 3, pp. 12-20, 1997.
M. Naphade, J. R. Smith, J. Tesic, S.-F. Chang, W. Hsu, L. Kennedy, A. Hauptmann, and J. Curtis, “Large-Scale Concept Ontology for Multimedia,” IEEE Multimedia Magazine, 13(3), 2006.
H. Meng and S.-F. Chang, “CVEPS: A Compressed Video Editing and Parsing System,” In ACM Multimedia Conference, Boston, MA, November 1996.
S.-F. Chang and D.G. Messerschmitt, "Manipulation and Compositing of MC-DCT Compressed Video," IEEE Journal of Selected Areas in Communications, Special Issue on Intelligent Signal Processing, pp. 1-11, Jan. 1995.
H. Sundaram, L. Xie, and S.-F. Chang, “A Utility Framework for the Automatic Generation of Audio-Visual Skims”, ACM Multimedia Conference, France, Oct. 2002.
C.-Y. Lin, S.-F. Chang, “A Robust Image Authentication Method Distinguishing JPEG Compression from Malicious Manipulation,” IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, 11(2):153-168, February 2001.
T.-T. Ng, S.-F. Chang, “An Online System for Classifying Computer Graphics Images from Natural Photographs,” In SPIE Electronic Imaging, San Jose, CA, January 2006. Project Site: http://www.ee.columbia.edu/trustfoto (demo site: http://apollo.ee.columbia.edu/trustfoto/trustfoto/natcgV4.html)
J. Wang, E. Pohlmeyer, B. Hanna, Y.-G. Jiang, P. Sajda, and S.-F. Chang, “Brain State Decoding for Rapid Image Retrieval,” ACM Multimedia Conference, Beijing, Oct. 2009.
J. Wang, T. Jebara, S.-F. Chang, “Graph Transduction via Alternating Minimization,” In International Conference on Machine Learning (ICML), Helsinki, Finland, July 2008.
J. Wang, Y.-G. Jiang, S.-F. Chang, “Label Diagnosis through Self Tuning for Web Image Search,” In IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR), Miami Beach, Florida, USA, June 2009.